Upcycled Clothing: Sewing Masterclass Series
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Do you have items in your wardrobe that you love but they’re not quite right? Would you like to be able to give tired items a new life? Save money and the environment by learning to revamp your wardrobe using items you already have. Learn how to modernise out of date pieces and improve the fit and design. This might involve turning 2 or more pieces into 1 new garment, or reshaping/resizing a much loved or newly acquired item.
Bring along some clothing items with upcycling potential, for discussion. As a group, learn how these can be altered to bring them back into service with a fresh, new look. Barbara will present examples of her upcycled projects, demonstrating various upcycling methods, both simple and complex.
Please note that you will not have time to work on your items within this 4 hour masterclass, but will be able to participate in practical activities demonstrating some of these methods, such as printing on fabric. You will leave with ideas and skills to upcycle at home with confidence. This was initially designed as a 3 session class that would have involved completing a project, but we have listened to your feedback and shortened the class to reduce the cost.
This class is suitable for those aged 16+
Recommended for people with sewing skills.
Dates & Times: Date to be decided (likely in Spring), 10am-2:30pm
What to bring:
- Clothes with upcycling potential: items that are not quite right, whether due to fit, style, damage etc
- Potential trims and finishes (available for purchase from Opendrawer but there won't be time during workshop)
- Pen, pencil, writing paper
What you will take away:
- The confidence and knowledge to begin your upcycling journey
What you will learn:
- How to visualise possible changes and upgrades to existing garments
- Practical, creative methods to implement these changes
About the Tutor:
Barbara studied fashion and worked for many years as a professional seamstress and dressmaker. She has taught Diploma and Cert III in Fashion Design and Technology at Box Hill TAFE for over a decade. Now, Barbara uses her diverse range of skills to create clothing, jewellery and objects from recycled materials.
- Upcycled Clothing$105$1050$0