Patterns - Sewing Masterclass Series
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Kick off your machine sewing journey by learning how to conquer the confusing world of Patterns. Our resident sewing guru, Barbara Niglio, will make it all seem simple as she demystifies the first step in any machine sewing project. Bring along a commercial pattern for something that you would like to sew (a simple skirt pattern is our suggestion) and leave with the confidence that you can successfully interpret this and adjust it to fit your body.
For ages 15 and up.
Dates: Saturday 27 July
Tutor: Barbara Niglio
Barbara studied fashion and worked for many years as a professional seamstress and dressmaker. She has taught Diploma and Cert III in Fashion Design and Technology at Box Hill TAFE for over a decade. Now, Barbara uses her diverse range of skills to create clothing, jewellery and objects from recycled materials.
What you will learn
• How to interpret the various markings (on patterns and instructions)
• To work out actual size of garment to determine how it will fit you, and then how to alter this to fit your body
• Identify how to lay out on fabric ready for cutting
What you will take away
• A prepared pattern for something that you’d like to sew.
What to bring
• A commercial pattern. Our suggestion is a simple skirt and we recommend New Look pattern #6843. Note that there is a range of vintage and 2nd hand patterns available for purchase from Opendrawer prior to your workshop.
• Paper cutting scissors (not your good fabric scissors)
• Pins, measuring tape, sticky tape
• Pen/pencil, paper for note taking
• Proposed fabric if you have chosen some (not essential)
People 15 and over interested in learning how to interpret and adjust a commercial dress making pattern
- Patterns: Sewing Masterclass$105$1050$0