Mending: Sewing Masterclass Series
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Do you feel bad every time you discard an item of clothing because it has a hole or is showing signs of wear? Would you like to be kinder to the environment and save money at the same time by repairing your clothes and keeping them out of landfill. Keep favourite items in use for longer. Barbara will teach you methods to repair your clothes, and other fabric items, that are both decorative and subtle.
Date: Thursday 11 July 2019
Tutor: Barbara Niglio
Barbara studied fashion and worked for many years as a professional seamstress and dressmaker. She has taught Diploma and Cert III in Fashion Design and Technology at Box Hill TAFE for over a decade. Now, Barbara uses her diverse range of skills to create clothing, jewellery and objects from recycled materials.
You must be proficient in sewing machine use.
What you will learn
• How to repair all manner of tears, holes and wear marks
• Methods to make repairs deliberately decorative as well as more subtle methods
• Different methods of hand and machine mending
• To repair both knitwear and woven goods (eg jumpers, jeans)
What you will take away
• An items of your own clothing that you have mended (you may not finish this in the time frame but will know how to do so)
What to bring
• Your sewing machine and spare needles (let us know if you don’t have a machine you can bring)
• Something holey or that can have a hole made in it.
• Anything that you’d like to decorate the mend with (lots to choose from and purchase at Opendrawer)
• Basic sewing kit (we have spares if you’re missing anything)
• Pen, pencil, writing paper
What to wear
Comfortable clothes for sitting and sewing
This class is suitable for those aged 16+
- Sewing Masterclass: Mending$105$1050$0