Japanese Stab Binding
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Enjoy creating your own distinctive, decorative album using the versatile stitched single sheet binding perfected by Japanese artisans. In this class you will be making a small soft covered book which will be your ‘practice model’ and then you’ll perfect your technique by making a hinged, hard-covered A4 size album.
Stab bindings are especially useful for binding single sheets of paper. The thread passes through each hole a number of times to complete the pattern. The front and back covers which can be either soft or hard (covered board) are attached to the text block by decorative stitching at the spine.
Take home a completed hard covered A4 Album and a soft covered note book . Must be competent using a craft knife with snap off blades.
Date: Friday Jan 25, 2019
Time: 10 am to 4:00 pm
Kit fee: $12
The kit provided will include the cardstock & pages of the small soft covered book & A4 size boards for the covers of the hinged album.
Skills you’ll learn:
• Discover the history of Japanese Stab Binding and the 3 traditional stitches
• Learn to cover boards with neat mitred corners,
• Make an A4 album with a decorative covered your choice of binding style.
What to bring:
- three pegs or small clamps, to clamp the thickness of your books
- an Awl, bodkin or large darning needle for making holes in paper
- Steel ruler 30cm/12”
- A “Bone folder” (if you have one)
- Scissors for cutting paper
- Craft knife with snap off blades (X-acto type NOT Stanley knife)
- Needles with an eye large enough to take your chosen sewing/binding thread. (A tapestry needle is suitable)
- Cutting mat (A3 size is a good size) Larger is better.
- Soft pencil (2B)
- White rubber/eraser
- Glue stick
- A magazine to use as waste paper to glue on.(small phone books are ideal)
- sheets of decorative paper to cover your A4 book covers (the weight of good quality wrapping paper or light weight wall-paper) Approx 350mm x 500mm Allow extra paper if it has a pattern that has a definite “right way up”.
- A sheet of contrasting paper for the inside of your book covers. (end-papers) Approx 420mm x 300mm. This may be marbled paper or a plain contrasting colour.
- 40 sheets of A4 100-110 gsm paper in a colour to suit your album. (Cream is a good neutral colour) Please phone me if you need me to supply these sheets.
- Stranded embroidery thread or Pearl cotton (No 5) Colour to match or contrast with your paper. (Twine, very fine ribbon, waxed linen, fine silk cord, etc would also be suitable for sewing/binding the books together.)
- Small beads or notions to decorate the ends of your threads. (with holes large enough for your chosen thread.)
Tutor details: Anne Newton
Anne has been teaching textile and fibre based techniques to children and adults for more than 30 years .
Picture credit: Anne Newton
- Japanese Stab Binding$145$1450$0