Introduction to Felting
Time & Location
About This Workshop
The essentials of felt making will be revealed as you build upon the foundation skills of felt and explore: flat felt, pre-felt, nuno felt, seamless 3D vessels, texture in felt, colour blending and ideas for scarves.. Create your own textile from a small amount of wool fibres, precious silk fibres, other gorgeous embellishments, soap, water, elbow grease and your own inspiration.
Experience Level: for new felt makers and those wanting to reboot their felting skills
Date: Wednesdays commencing mid February 2020
Duration: 3 hour sessions 6:30pm – 9:30pm
Tutor: Robyn Steel-Stickland
What to bring:
Other than a notepad and pencil, everything will be supplied for the first class. You will then be told what to bring for subsequent classes. You can expect to spend approximately $40 to $60 dollars on materials to cover the remaining 5 classes.
What you will learn:
- Use wet felting techniques to make samples to practice laying out; make a felt flower
- Learn to make pre-felt and the variety of uses these can be put to.
- Nuno felting - Nuno is the Japanese word for fabric, therefore nuno felt means to felt onto fabric. Play with wool tops, fine silk & cotton fabrics, and use wet felting techniques to create samples of nuno felt, which is incredibly light, soft & drapable. Nuno felt is light & gauzy and beautiful to wear on cool summer nights.
- Seamless 3D Objects & Vessels - Use wool fibre, fusion and a plastic resist or template to make samples of 3D objects and vessels. The samples will be small, but will give you the skills to go home and create your own projects.
- Felt Texture - Learn about playing and experimenting with texture in felt. We’ll embed fabric, beads, leaves, flowers, and other stuff. We’ll push the wool to its limits, and cut, pull and squeeze for effect. It’s all about cutting loose.
- Colour blending - Explore the way colours blend in felt making, using hand blending and hand carders to mix the fibres. Produce a colourful set of samples to take home.
- Learn about the differences in felt quality.
- Learn how to ‘full’ your felt to a professional finish.
What you will take away:
- Felt samples from each of the techniques covered as well as the results of a small personal project.
About the Tutor:
Robyn Steel-Stickland has a qualification in art therapy, and around 20 years' experience teaching crafts and textiles. She has been teaching felt making for 22 years and is the Author of a book called “Felt – Irresistibly beautiful projects”. Robyn’s passion is to teach in a way that brings technique and quality to your felt making.
- Intro to Felting - 6 weeks$495$4950$0