Introduction to Dressmaking
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Learn the fundamentals of professional dressmaking over six weeks. In this detailed series of classes, you'll make a skirt from scratch, using your own fabric or fabric bought from Opendrawer's selection. Using Simplicity New Look pattern #6843 (please buy your own pattern in advance of the first class), you'll first learn how to adjust a commercial pattern to fit your own body shape. Then, as you progress through the classes, you'll learn professional techniques for details such as darts, waist bands, zippers and hems, to ensure that your home made skirt looks even more professional than those you'd find in a shop!
For ages 15 and up. BYO sewing machine and spare needles
Dates: Held over six sessions - Monday 17, 24 June, and 1, 8, 15, 22 July, 2019.
What you will learn:
- Learn the secrets of professional dressmaking
What you will get:
- At the end of the last class, you'll take home your professionally created skirt
What to bring:
- For best results, bring your own sewing machine. If you don't have one, please let us know prior to attending.
- Also bring a basic sewing kit - pins, measuring tape, etc.
- Simplicity New Look pattern #6843. Please note that this pattern has been specifically chosen because it incorporates all of the skills that you will need to master (incl darts, zip, hem and waistband) in order to extend your making to an endless variety of garments. Please do not bring a different pattern, as it detracts from the experience of others if Barbara has to spend time interpreting these. This is a group project and the workshop works best when everybody is working on the same garment style. At the time of posting, this pattern is readily available from Spotlight and probably other stores.
- Sufficient material to make your chosen skirt eg cotton drill, lightweight denim, fine corduroy (not flimsy, silky or stretchy).
- Matching polyester thread.
About the Tutor:
Barbara studied fashion and worked for many years as a professional seamstress and dressmaker. She has taught Diploma and Cert III in Fashion Design and Technology at Box Hill TAFE for over a decade. Now, Barbara uses her diverse range of skills to create clothing, jewellery and objects from recycled materials.
- Intro to Dressmaking$465$4650$0