Felt a Stitch Companion
Time & Location
About This Workshop
What happens when you add soap and water to fine, un-spun wool? What happens when you add sumptuous silk fabric remnants and silk fibres to this magic mix? Do you love colour, texture, spontaneity and the unexpected? Join us for this exploration into the Art of Felting and Nunofelting through the simple creation of a stitch companion - perfect for your “never-leave-home without” embroidery scissors, threads and needles.
The felting process will be shared and there will be the opportunity to discuss the myriad of possibilities for further stitching and embellishments. There will also be the option of two sizes; a small travel kit 8 cm x 8cm, and a larger 11cm x 11cm.
What you will learn:
- Learn the basics of creating woollen fabric through the process of Felting
- Learn the basics of Nuno-felting, incorporating fabrics (mainly sillk), fibres and yarns into the design.
- Transform this handmade fabric into a stitch companion and discuss the potential for further design and stitching
Date: Saturday August 17th, 2019.
Cost: $130 + $8 materials fee payable to tutor on the day
Optional: Scissors to fit into your Stitch Companion may be purchased for $6
What you will get:
- A nuno-felted stitch companion with simple instructions to complete the final stitching at home. There will be the option of two sizes; small travel kit 8 cm x 8cm and a larger 11cm x 11cm.
- Comprehensive notes.
What to bring:
- Apron, or old shirt or wear clothes you don’t mind getting damp.
- Scissors for cutting fabric.
- You are welcome to bring from home any additional silk fabric remnants or old silk scarves (to be cut up and re-purposed) Find out what fabrics are suitable for Nuno-felting.
Tutor: Miranda Brett.
Miranda is a textile artist with a passion for fibres, texture, colour and patterns. The simple forms, colours, mark-making and designs in Nature in particular, provides great inspiration for her work. She enjoys the challenge of making art accessible by using every day objects in the home and garden in a creative and exploratory way.
Picture credit: Miranda Brett.
- Felt Stitch Companion$130$1300$0