Elements of Dyeing: Protein
Time & Location
About This Workshop
In this one-day workshop students will learn dyeing techniques, exploring tips and tricks to dye and protein fibres. This class is suitable for beginners and more experienced dyers looking to learn the nuts and bolts of the dyeing process.
These affordable ways to achieve the colours you might be looking for in a textile project include immersion dyeing, microwave dyeing, tie dyeing, graduation dyeing, and ice dying with results that always surprise you.
Students will be taking home a selection of yarns and fabrics with amazing colours and patterns, ready to use in their textile projects. You are more than welcome to also enrol in the Elements of Dyeing: Cellulose class held the previous day but be sure to book your place ASAP.
Skills you’ll learn:
- Understanding protein fibres
- Different techniques and processes to dye protein fibres
- Which dyes are suitable for protein fibres
Date: Sunday November 10th, 2019.
Time: 10am to 4pm
Class fee: $155
Materials fee: $20 - paid to tutor on the day to cover cost of dyes.
What to bring:
- Pen/pencil note pad Pen/pencil & notepad
- Rubber gloves
- 3 x large clear refillable sauce bottles (available from craft stores and some supermarkets)
- Plastic apron (and wear comfortable old clothes and shoes)
- Glad wrap
- Pack of Zip lock bags – sandwich size or bigger/ large jars/large plastic jars
- 2 buckets
- Cooking Salt
- Dishwashing detergent
- Materials to dye: Wool yarns, wool fabrics, silk fabric and yarn, laces, doilies, cotton fabric, synthetic fabrics etc.
Tutor details: Marcia King
Marcia is an experienced maker with expertise in Rug Hooking, Felting, Dyeing, Knitting, Embroidery, Crocheting, Leather work, Patchwork and Quilting. She has even dabbled in shoemaking. Marcia is a member of the Australian Rug Hookers Guild, Begonia Quilters, and the Victorian Feltmakers.
Picture credit: Marcia King
- Elements of Dyeing$155$1550$0