Create an Art Doll
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Art dolls have been around for decades, and guilds of Art doll artists have been formed around the world. Art dolls are as unique as their creators. They may be realistic or abstract.
In this 4 session intensive, Jennie Cann will start you on a journey to create your own Art doll, be it an elf, faerie, ogre, or something special from your own imagination. Jennie will guide you through the process of making the face, arms, legs, hands, feet and hair of your doll. You'll learn to sculpt detailed facial features using polymer clay, create posable limbs with armature wire, and add hair and painted features to your doll. You may not have time to make any detailed costumes during this class, however costumes will be discussed, and instructions provided.
This is a taster course to introduce you to the world of Art dolls.
Week 1: Design doll and start armature (body structure)
Week 2: Continue armature and create head
Week 3: Create limbs, tails etc
Week 4: Paint doll and discuss instructions for covering doll (costumes, wigging, fur, feathers…..)
Note that to complete the doll in this time frame you will need to complete some work at home between classes.
The materials fee covers wire, armature, fabric, paper clay and polymer clay. You will be able to purchase eyes, wigging etc from Jennie, once you've decided on your design.
Dates: Held over 4 Saturday mornings: June 1, 15, 22, 29
Cost: $310 + materials fee of $40 to be paid directly to the tutor - covers wire, armature, fabric, paper clay and polymer clay. You will be able to purchase eyes, wigging etc from Jennie, once you have decided on your design.
Tutor: Jennie Cann
What you will learn
• How to design a doll
• Armature for figurines
• Sculpting with polymer and/or paper clay
• How to cover/paint/dress your doll (note that detailed costuming will not be covered in this class due to time constraints)
What you will get
• At the end of the four sessions, you'll take home a doll/creature of your own design
What to bring
• Notepad, pen and pencil
• If your doll will have a cloth body, you'll need to bring your sewing machine to class 2 and beyond (if this is not possible, please let us know).
• Jennie will provide class tools but if you have your own small sculpting tools (sculpey) you might like to bring these along. Jennie will have tools available for purchase for a very reasonable price, for those who would like to continue doll making into the future.
Appropriate for :
This workshop is for anyone over 18, from the beginner to the experienced sculptor
- Art Doll$310$3100$0