Time & Location
About This Workshop
In this class you will make a box of your own design to contain items that are significant to you. Eg: a box to contain found objects from your trip; a box to hold your bridge playing cards, scoring pad and pencils or a box to display your business or recipe cards. Learn to cut box board safely, to incorporate hinges and lids, and to cover a box with decorative paper with invisible joins. Students will take home a completed box of their own design.
Date: Saturday March 2, 2019.
Time: 10am to 4pm
Class fee: $145 + $10 materials fee payable to the tutor on the day
Tutor: Anne Newton
Requirements List :
- Box board approx. 3mm. You may also use mat board off-cuts for linings or thicker cardboard if a large project.
- PVA (white wood glue), Glue brushes, one fine and one broad for use on large surface areas, small container for water.
- 30cm steel ruler
- Cutting mat A3 or larger
- Craft knife with snap-off blades
- Scissors for paper
- Masking tape
- Paper to cover box...may be fine Japanese Mulberry paper (it depends on what your box is for and how large it is) i.e. small and delicate = finer paper or large and robust = thicker and more durable paper. You may like to use things such as used tea-bags to decoupage your box.
Optional but useful items :
- Small weights, small rectangular wood or steel blocks
- Steel square
- Buttons, tassels or small knobs
Some boards of varying thicknesses will be available for sale from the tutor.
Tutor details: Anne Newton
Anne Newton has been teaching textile and fibre-based techniques to adults and children for more than 20 years. For more about Anne and her work, read the article that she has recently written for Garland Magazine at the following link: https://garlandmag.com/article/shibari/
Picture credit: Anne Newton
- Box Making Workshop$145$1450$0