Beginner's Blackwork - Squarely Check (1)
Time & Location
About This Workshop
Inspired by a 17th century German sampler this petite pin cushion is the perfect size project to introduce you to the Blackwork basics of Double Running Stitch, Back Stitch and Running Back Stitch.There is also an opportunity to personalise some of the border design to make it your own.
As a counted embroidery technique we will be using evenweave fabric and black stranded cotton for the stitching. We will learn about stitch journeys and working with repeating motifs.
To complete the pin cushion we make a fine twisted cord and mini-tassels and take our time to hand sew the piped seams.
Date: Jan 24, 2019
Time: 9:30am to 4pm
Materials Fee: $25 in cash payable to the tutor on the day. Project kit includes all required materials.
What you will learn :
• Learn Double running Stitch, Back Stitch and Running Back Stitch
• Learn about stitch journeys and repeating motifs
• Learn to create your own mini-tassels with twisted cord, and how to hand sew piped seams
What you will get :
• Your own in-progress Blackwork pin cushion to take home and complete
What to bring :
• All materials are provided in the project kit.
• Bring a basic sewing kit with needles and scissors.
• Notepad and pencil to take notes.
Tutor: Christine Burton
Starting out with Crewel embroidery Christine has since gone on to learn numerous embroidery techniques from tutors in Australia and America and is presently completing her Certificate in Technical Hand Embroidery at the Royal School of Needlework in London.
A member of numerous stitching groups, Christine also regularly exhibits her work at local events and teaches at the Embroiderer’s Guild of Victoria across the state and at various embroidery shops around Melbourne. Her work has also been published in Inspirations embroidery magazine.
Awarded the Ethel Oates Scholarship by the Embroiderer’s Guild in 2017, Christine has most recently focused on historic 17th century embroidery techniques, in particular Blackwork, Stumpwork, Crewel and Goldwork and enjoys sharing these skills with today’s needleworkers.
Picture credit: Chris Burton
- Beginner's Blackwork$155$1550$0